Student Video Challenge
Multimedia Collaboration between Asian and U.S. Undergraduates
The ASIANetwork Student Video Competition facilitates focused and direct interaction between students at ASIANetwork and Asian undergraduate institutions. Student teams will examine a current global issue from a comparative perspective and, in a multimedia video, present their conclusions.
Winning Entries will be promoted on the ASIANetwork website and featured at the Annual Conference.
2023 Challenge Theme
“Asia & the United States in the Next Decade”
What will the relationship between Asian countries and United States look like in the next decade? As a team, select an Asian country(ies) and prepare a video for an undergraduate future studies conference that describes possible scenarios as the Asia – U.S. relationship develops over the next ten years.
Each team will consist of two to four undergraduate students, one or two from an ASIANetwork member institution and one or two from a higher education institution(s) in Asia. All participating student members must be enrolled at undergraduate institutions at the time of the preliminary, on-line team application (October 15, 2022).
At the ASIANetwork member institution
- Domestic and international students are eligible to participate. Only one team member may be an international student from Asia.
- A faculty member from the ASIANetwork member institution will serve as advisor for the team.
At the higher education institution(s) in Asia
- The two undergraduate students may be from the same institution or from two separate institutions in the same or different Asian countries. Students who are currently studying in the United States are not eligible, but former study abroad students to the U.S., who have returned to their Asian institution, are eligible.
- The team will produce a video (5-minute maximum) based on the year’s theme.
- The completed video will be submitted to the program director by the faculty advisor.
- Winners will be chosen by a selection committee made up of experts in Asia/global affairs, media, and film.
- The winning team’s work will be featured at the annual conference. The faculty advisor of the winning team will be invited to the annual conference with a complementary registration fee. A certificate and $100 award will be presented to each student member through the ASIANetwork institution.
- The videos of the winning teams will be promoted on the ASIANetwork web site and featured at the Annual Conference.
The faculty advisor submits an on-line application. Deadline: October 15, 2022
- A list of team members (name, major/minor, year, contact information, university)
- Name and contact information for the faculty advisor
- Project title with a 250-word abstract
By November 1, 2022, ASIANetwork verifies eligibility and agrees to accept the video submission.
The faculty advisor submits the video to the program director. Deadline: February 1, 2023.
Winners announced by March 1, 2023.
Project Evaluation Criteria
Jurors made up of faculty members and professionals with expertise in Asia will use the following criteria to select the winning submission.
- Depth & Breadth of Content
- Citation of Sources